ALERT! ALERT!

ALERT! ALERT! All Things BARN reside NOW at www.BarnBrothers.ORG

Thursday, November 4, 2010

"The Barn"... How It All Started


 

In October of 2003, a great friend called me from Georgia to tell me about this thing that some of the men in his church were doing...some kind of "video series" from a book called "Wild at Heart".
He had never done anything like this before so I went and bought this book...

Before I continue, here's a little background...

I was raised in a denominational church where I had experienced "religion", but not so much of a "relationship" with Jesus Christ. After wandering for many years, I rededicated my life to Christ when I was 30 years old. This happened in a more charismatic church where I enjoyed some great teaching, awesome worship, new friends and ultimately met and married my wife.

During my years at this church, there was a series of meetings led by the senior pastor called "Real Men". I don't really recall much of the content of the series, but was excited about the idea of 200 +/- men gathering every week to fellowship, and build relationships. When the "series" was over the meetings were suppose to continue. Unfortunately without the senior pastors leading, the numbers diminished quickly...75, then 30, until it was about 7 or 8 of us that met every Wednesday night at a small home near the church...This was my first exposure to a "Band of Brothers", men coming together, warts and all, worshiping, telling stories...it was good.

Years later, at the age of 43, after reading "Wild at Heart" by John Eldredge, I realized how I had been "walking alone", in the midst of many acquaintances, fellow workers, and relationships that never got beyond the veneer of the skin...to the Heart. There was also the realization that too much of my "Christian walk" had been about looking the right way, saying the right things, and being a "nice guy" with a "sinful and deceitful heart". When the internal struggles of performing to standards that I couldn't maintain sent me into a tailspin that led to old habits and addictions resurfacing in my life, I really did not have an answer...I mean I did have the answer, I just didn't know I had it...

"Wild at Heart" helped me get back to God's word, and started revealing truths that made the bible come alive as it related to me personally. The concept of knowing that we are in a battle, and we shouldn't fight alone brought clarity to many aspects of my life.

In May 2004, I traveled to Buena Vista Colorado for my first Wild at Heart Boot Camp. Over 375 men, from all different backgrounds, ages 19 to 75 converged on a Young Life Camp in the Rocky Mountains for four days of "unplugging from the matrix of day to day life" to experience the most "non religious" Christian gathering that I have ever been a part of. Thought provoking messages presented in ways that I could understand. Time alone with God asking Him questions and writing down what I felt Him speaking to me in my journal. I experienced a Freedom and communion with God that I'd never experienced before in my life. It was a realization of what Jesus said of himself as to "why He came"in Luke 4, when He quoted Isaiah 61.

In March of 2005, after going back for another Boot Camp, and also experiencing this life changing message in a small group format locally...I knew that I wanted to share this with other men. So the first Wednesday in March, 8 men and myself, with a 27' TV, a make shift surround sound system, and open hearts, started meeting at "The Barn"!....to be continued

No comments:

Second Annual Fourth of July Extravaganza

Second Annual Fourth of July Extravaganza
Thanks to Everyone came...It was a Blast